Tour Professionals Hunter Mahan and Braden Thornberry will be the feature at this year’s Coca-Cola Junior Clinic at The First Tee of Central Florida Youth Day at the Arnold Palmer Invitational Presented by Mastercard. The clinic will take place on Monday, March 4, 2019 at 4:30 pm on the 1st tee at Arnold Palmer’s Bay Hill Club & Lodge.
Get to Know Hunter Mahan
Hunter Mahan turned professional in 2003 after a very successful junior, collegiate, and amateur golf career. Mahan was the winner of the 1999 United States Junior Amateur Championship, and was a two-time Big 12 Conference Player of the Year and a two-time first-team All American at Oklahoma State University.
Mahan joined the PGA TOUR in 2004 upon turning professional and gaining his TOUR Card in the 2003 PGA TOUR Qualifying School. His first PGA TOUR Victory came in 2007 when he won the Travelers Championship in Connecticut, winning in a playoff. Mahan won twice during the 2010 Season winning at the Waste Management Phoenix Open and the World Golf Championship – Bridgestone Invitational. In 2012 Mahan had another multiple win season winning the World Golf Championship – Accenture Match Play Championship beating Rory McIlroy in the finals and the Shell Houston Open. His last PGA TOUR Win came in 2014 where he won The Barclays, the first event of the FedEx Cup Playoffs.
Mahan was a member of the victorious Team USA Presidents Cup teams in 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2013. He was a member of Team USA Ryder Cup teams in 2008 (victorious), 2010, and 2014.
- Born in Orange, California
- Currently Resides in Dallas, Texas
- Has 3 kids with wife Kandi
- Starred in Golf Boys Music Video with Bubba Watson, Rickie Fowler, and Ben Crane. Video has over 8.2 million views on YouTube
- Has a passion for cooking and cultivating his palate at restaurants around the globe.
- Father, Monte, is a former undercover police officer in Southern California.
- In 2012, along with wife, Kandi, founded the Mahan Foundation, which supports charitable initiatives focused on health and wellness, children, and the military.
- Has served as National Co-chair of the American Junior Golf Association.
- Special Interest: Fishing, basketball
Get to know Braden thornberry
He also collected the Haskins Award as college golf’s top player in 2017, the same year that he won the Jones Cup and Sunnehanna Amateur while also being a member on the victorious U.S. Walker Cup team.
Thornberry’s biggest accomplishment to date is that he finished T-4 at the 2017 FedEx St. Jude Classic as an amateur.
- Native of Olive Branch, Mississippi
- Former Number 1 World Ranked Amateur in the World Amateur Golf Ranking
- Won 2018 Mark H. McCormick Medal, which goes to the top-ranked golfer in the World Amateur Golf Ranking following the U.S. Amateur each year.
- Participated on the victorious Team USA in the 2018 Palmer Cup in France
- Qualified for 2018 US Open at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club
- First all-time at Ole Miss in tournament victories with 11
- When he was in elementary school, Braden loved to ride dirt bikes. But when he fractured his right tibia and fibula, and then less than a year later broke the growth plate his left forearm.
- Thornberry also was involved in martial arts, earning a second-degree black belt.
- Earliest golf memory was seeing Tiger Woods make the putt to force a playoff against Rocco Mediate at the 2008 U.S. Open.